By Thomas Hardy
* short yet informative introductions to the novels and different texts
* each one novel has its personal contents desk - simply navigate among chapters!
* the various novels are totally illustrated with unique paintings – benefit from the actual flavour of the Victorian textual content in your eReader!
* info at the misplaced first novel ‘THE negative guy AND THE LADY', with a unprecedented novella and poem tracing its content
* numerous photographs regarding Hardy and his works
* all the brief tales with either chronological and alphabetical contents tables
* the compete performs – even together with the infrequent “Tragedy of the Queen of Cornwall” to be had nowhere else as a electronic book
* the entire poems with their very own separate chronological and alphabetical contents tables – locate that unique poem simply and quickly!
* the poems also are awarded of their unique collections, every one with its personal table
* scholarly ordering of texts into chronological order and literary genres
* distinct Hardy’s Wessex Map to accompany your examining of the novels
* boasts a unique feedback part, with 6 various texts from different authors and critics, studying Hardy's literary paintings in detail
* contains D.H Lawrence's long serious ebook A examine OF THOMAS HARDY - first time in electronic print
* beneficial properties Hardy's wife's biographies - discover the nice writer's remarkable existence intimately - to be had nowhere else
By William Shakespeare
Placing romance onstage, The Tempest offers us a magician, Prospero, a former duke of Milan who used to be displaced via his treacherous brother, Antonio. Prospero is exiled on an island, the place his simply partners are his daughter, Miranda, the spirit Ariel, and the monster Caliban. while his enemies are between these stuck in a hurricane close to the island, Prospero turns his energy upon them via Ariel and different spirits.
The characters exceed the jobs of villains and heroes. Prospero turns out heroic, but he enslaves Caliban and has an urge for food for revenge. Caliban looks a monster for attacking Miranda, yet seems to be heroic in resisting Prospero, evoking the interval of colonialism in which the play was once written. Miranda’s engagement to Ferdinand, the Prince of Naples and a member of the shipwrecked get together, is helping get to the bottom of the drama.
The authoritative variation of The Tempest from The Folger Shakespeare Library, the depended on and commonplace Shakespeare sequence for college students and normal readers, includes:
-Freshly edited textual content in line with the simplest early revealed model of the play
-Full explanatory notes with ease put on pages dealing with the textual content of the play
-Scene-by-scene plot summaries
-A key to the play’s recognized traces and phrases
-An creation to analyzing Shakespeare’s language
-An essay by way of a number one Shakespeare pupil supplying a contemporary point of view at the play
-Fresh pictures from the Folger Shakespeare Library’s giant holdings of infrequent books
-An annotated consultant to extra reading
Essay through Barbara A. Mowat
The Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, DC, is domestic to the world’s greatest number of Shakespeare’s revealed works, and a magnet for Shakespeare students from all over the world. as well as exhibitions open to the general public all year long, the Folger deals an entire calendar of performances and courses. for additional info, stopover at Folger.edu.
Victorian Literature is a finished and completely annotated anthology with a versatile layout that enables lecturers and scholars to pursue conventional or cutting edge traces of inquiry – from the canon to its extensions and its contexts.
• Represents the period’s significant writers of prose, poetry, drama, and extra, together with Tennyson, Arnold, the Brownings, Carlyle, Ruskin, the Rossettis, Wilde, Eliot, and the Brontës
• Promotes an ideologically and culturally assorted view of Victorian society with the inclusion of girls, working-class, colonial, and homosexual and lesbian writers
• accommodates contemporary scholarship with five contextual sections and leading edge sub-sections on issues like environmentalism and animal rights; mass literacy and mass media; intercourse and sexuality; melodrama and comedy; the Irish query; ruling India and the Indian Mutiny and innovations in print tradition
• Emphasizes the interdisciplinary nature of the sphere with a spotlight on social, cultural, inventive, and old elements
• contains a totally annotated significant other web site for lecturers and scholars delivering extended context sections, extra readings from key writers, appendices, and an intensive bibliography
By John Sutherland
Lady Chatterley's Lover. The Blue Lagoon. Portnoy's grievance. The Da Vinci Code. For the final century, the tastes and personal tastes of the typical reader were mirrored within the American and British bestseller lists, and this Very brief Introduction takes an attractive glance through the lists to bare what we have now been reading--and why. John Sutherland indicates that bestseller lists video display one of many most powerful pulses in glossy literature and are consequently precious of great examine. Exploring the connection among bestsellers and the models, ideologies, and cultural issues of the day, the booklet contains brief case-studies and energetic summaries of bestsellers over the years: from In His Steps--now virtually absolutely forgotten, however the largest all-time bestseller among 1895 and 1945--to Gone with the Wind, The Andromeda Strain, and The Da Vinci Code. Discussing either vintage and modern novels, along a few spectacular titles and long-forgotten names. Sutherland lifts the lid at the bestseller undefined, revealing what makes a publication right into a bestseller and what separates bestsellers from canonical fiction.
This booklet was once switched over from its actual version to the electronic layout by way of a group of volunteers. you could locate it at no cost on the internet. buy of the Kindle variation comprises instant supply.
at nighttime instances earlier than a unified England, warring tribes roved and sparred for territory around the British Isles. The Ballad of the White Horse documents the deeds and armed forces accomplishments of Alfred the nice as he defeats the invading Danes on the conflict of Ethandun. released in 1911, this poem follows the battle—from the collection of the chiefs to the final conflict cry—with a care to rhythm, sound, and language that makes it a powerful murals in addition to a necessary piece of English history.
an important effect at the constitution of Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings, The Ballad of the White Horse transforms the exciting exploits of a brave chief into an inspirational Christian allegory.
This book has been professionally proofread to make sure accuracy and clarity on all devices.
By H.G. Wells
Whilst the intrepid Time visitor unearths himself within the yr 802,701, he encounters a probably utopian society of advanced people yet then finds the darkish mystery that units mankind on the right track towards its inevitable destruction. An insightful investigate a far off, bleak, and irritating destiny, The Time Machine is going past the reaches of technology fiction to supply a strikingly correct dialogue of social growth, type fight, and the human condition.
Hailed as a masterpiece of its style, H. G. Wells’s recognized novella in regards to the perils of heritage and the hubris of modernity comes vividly alive during this impressive reissue of a distinct 1931 illustrated variation.
Robert Louis Stevenson initially wrote "Dr. Jekyll And Mr Hyde" as a "chilling shocker." He then burned the draft and, upon his wife's suggestion, rewrote it because the darkly complicated story it really is this present day. Stark, skillfully woven, this attention-grabbing novel explores the curious turnings of human personality in the course of the unusual case of Dr. Jekyll, a kindly scientist who by way of evening takes on his stunted evil self, Mr. Hyde. looking forward to sleek psychology, "Jekyll And Hyde" is a brilliantly unique examine of man's twin nature -- in addition to an immortal story of suspense and terror. released in 1866, "Jekyll And Hyde" used to be an fast luck and taken Stevenson his first flavor of repute. notwithstanding occasionally brushed off as a trifling secret tale, the ebook has evoked a lot literary admirations. Vladimir Nabokov likened it to "Madame Bovary" and "Dead Souls" as "a fantasy that lies closer to poetry than to bland prose fiction."
By Arthur Conan Doyle
The poor spectacle of the beast, the fog of the moor, the invention of a physique: this vintage horror tale pits detective opposed to puppy. while Sir Charles Baskerville is located useless at the wild Devon moorland with the footprints of a large hound close by, the blame is put on a kin curse. it really is left to Sherlock Holmes and health care professional Watson to unravel the secret of the legend of the phantom hound prior to Sir Charles' inheritor involves an both grotesque finish. The Hound of the Baskervilles gripped readers whilst it used to be first serialised and has endured to carry its position within the well known mind's eye.